Penang Island Solo Ride


I always wanted to cycle to a far place, alone. Maybe I was so used to be alone, always doing things alone…but still, I never conquer the fear of loneliness…..

So this time, I am going to cycle around the Penang Island (da WHOLE island). This is the state where I live, but I never really been to every little place, every temple, every street and every corner of the island. Before I left Pg, I think it is good 4 me to travel my own state, because I am PenangKia ma!

I am sure most of Pg citizen never visit those small little place, all they know is only those shopping malls (and where 2 eat). Hehe ,this is damn true coz Penang is famous for the hawkers food, street food and local cuisine influence by Chinese,Malay,Indian & Thai flavours. More than thousand food stalls to choose, millions flavour to taste, now the way Penang Kia pursuit of the perfect food is on the crazy level. As 4 me, sometimes it is headache 2 think what2 eat n where 2 eat…

The name ‘Penang’ originates from the word ‘Pinang’ in Malay, which mean betel nut. Looks like coconut tree, but it is not. Very long ago, when 郑和下西洋,penang was marked as 槟榔屿in his map. Later,Captain Francis Light ‘discovered’ Penang n The British East India Company purchased the island from Sultan of Kedah in return for protection. Then is known as Prince of Wales island. The strategic location made Penang a deep water port n attracting traders from all over the world ,then Penang develop rapidly. Many cultures n heritage still can be seen 2day.

On 7th of July 2008, Georgetown was declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site together with Melacca. So you should be proud to live at the city of world heritage. I strongly suggest that all Penang boys n gurls should hv a visit if can. Don’t wait until those building collapse n historical things 2 fade away, then only pictures left2 see.

Beside food n heritage, penang also an ecological paradise. Penang is a tropical island with sandy beaches, jungle treks, tropical waterfalls n smallest national park. The Penang National Park is located at the North-west corner along Pantai Acheh. There are many jungle trails to beautiful beaches like Monkey Beach, Pantai Kerachut n Teluk Kampi. The park featuring the one n only meromictic lake in Malaysia n the old lighthouse build in 1883 on Muka Head. And now the park newly-build a 250m long canopy walk. While at the centre of the island is the Penang Hill, with Botanical Garden n Youth Park nearby.

* a meromictic lake is a lake that contain both sea water n fresh water but unmixed

Penang is just a small island, but has everything from food to shopping, heritage, culture, medical, education n etc etc…So, I can’t really introduce everything, you just have to explore yourself. Penang island is only about 22km in length n 17km wide. I wonder if u noticed that penang island is in turtle shape. (why don call it Turtle Island)我们是乌龟岛的小孩,then we are called TutleKia…

Penang -> Turtle Island

This trip rounding penang island takes me 5 days 4 nights, and every night I sleep in different places. It is a wonderful trip and challenging especially when cycle SOLO. The whole journey is approximately 130km in distance n I am thankful 4 sunny day all da way through.

The path i travelled in Penang

The reason I like 2 travel by bike is bcoz the feel when da wind blow through ur head n it takes away all ur worry, anxiety, anger n fear… Now, let the story of my penang solo ride begins…..

No comments: