5-6-2009 Day 1

This morning, is the first morning of my journey, but unlike last time, this time I dint wake up too early. When I step on my pedal, its only about 7a.m. I take the Butterworth Outer Ring Road (BORR) 2 jetty.

This morning I have kinda weird feeling that I dunno how 2 express in word. Its like I put away a lot of things, nothing in my mind, I don’t even think of situation that will happen in front, I don’t plan my journey too specific…I just ride forward. *let the spontaneous bring u surprise*

When I reach Bw jetty, its 7.20 a.m. n the ferry takes about 15-20 min to cross the sea. The fee 4 bicycle is RM1.40. the first landmark I visit is the betel nut roundabout and Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower completed 1902.

Betel Nut Roundabout

Queen Victoria Clock Tower


Then I go 2 Fort Cornwallis which build by Captain Francis Light in 1786, BUT it closed…it open at 9a.m. and I am too early there. Sh*****t, this is the first surprise I got. Nvm la, beside the fort is Padang Esplanade or 旧关仔角. Many people go there 4 a morning walk n some kids playing football there. In front of the padang is the War Memorial, City Hall n Town Hall.

Fort Cornwallis

War Memorial

I like this City Hall

Town Hall

Then I pass by St. George Church, quickly go in n take some photo s.

St. George Church

Near the church is the 槟州华人大会堂and 观音亭。The Goddess of Mercy Temple is like more than 200 years n very famous among Chinese community. I pay RM2 for the joss stick. 观音亭香火鼎盛,even on weekdays also many people.

观音亭


After that, I search my way into the Little India. Little India cover few streets n many Indian shops selling Indian stuff like clothes, spices, herbal soap n Bollywood music. Around that area, there is a very famous Hindu temple called Sri Maha Mariamman Temple. I cant help myself to think that the lion statue outside looks ugly n very fierce.

Sri Maha Mariamman

ugly lion

Now, is Malays mosque turn. I pass by the Kapitan Keling Mosque which also a very famous mosque. These 3 famous temple from three major races in Penang located just at the same area, showing that penang is a place of peace n harmony.(maybe once upon a time la)

Kapitan Keling Mosque

The following journey may contain too many temples, pls be prepare before u scroll down. I wil make it as brief as I can la.接下来我到了叶公司的慈济宫,还有谢公司。Cheah Kongsi is the oldest Chinese clan association in Penang, founded in 1820.

叶公司

谢公司

I also came 2 a quite unique temple called Hock Teik Cheng Sin Temple 福德正神庙。This temple is unique because it is not a ‘main institution’ but consist of 4 other ‘brotherhood society’ namely 同庆社,宝福社,清和社,and福建公司。Each organisation has their own representatives inside the福德正神庙的信理部。To put these organisations under one roof is 2 have effective management, n the temple act as the apex religious society. Deep leh… kinda hard 2 explain la, visit urself 4 more info.

福德正神庙

the system

Among all Chinese temple, Khoo Kongsi邱公司is the most wanted on my list. Although this khoo is Hockien n I am Cantonese the is still the same ma. So the next stop is Khoo Kongsi. But after I cycle a few round on that area, I stil cant find the way to Khoo Kongsi. Finally after asking few Ah Pek, then only I found the main entrance, which is very very unnoticeable.

the entrance so unnoticeable

The temple is surrounded by shop houses in every direction, just like a protected fort. The entrance fee is RM5 for adult. The roof of the temple is exquisite n the mural (wall painting) is extremely beautiful. Under the temple is a small museum, the exhibition is not bad la at least has explain the history of the clan n the temple.

Gods also play 剪刀,石头,布haha

secret passage

Khoo Kongsi

Beautiful mural

Roof Top

There are two Sikh guard statues, young n old outside the temple showing last time the wealthy Chinese hire Sikh guard. There are also 2 statues of crying n laughing monks.

we dont cry,

we laugh!

Sikh Guards

Most Beautiful at night

Lai, Jiak,Jiak

到此一游!

After wandering a few round inside the 龙山堂邱公司, until I felt that it worth the entrance fee only I left. My next destination is Sun Yat Sen Pg Base. The first time I reach there, I saw a poster outside one of the shop house, from the look outside, it just an ordinary pg old house. when I decided 2 left , a middle age woman came 2 me n ask me 2 go inside. Then she walk 2 the door n unlock it.

She is the manager the museum n the Sun Yat Sen Pg Base is now open. The admission fee is RM3. Sien lo, now every place also need 2 pay. But the manager, Ms.Goh is a nice person, she explain everything 2 me since I am the only visitor.

Me n Ms.Goh

Before she begins 2 explain, she also plays a portion of movie 2 me. The movie named 夜明 starring Angelica Lee李心洁 and fully filmed in Penang. Ms.Goh explain 2 me that this shop house was the headquarter of Dr. Sun in Penang when he lived for over 4 months in 1910 during his revolution.

革命尚未成功,同志乃须努力!

孙文真迹

The base is also the birthplace of the newspaper Kwong Wah Jit Poh光华日报. So next year,2010 is the 100th anniversary of 光华日报. Can u imagine the person who made the history of modern China actually planned n organised his revolution in Penang.

interesting drawing on the wall (road side)

Over there I met a little girl, form 3 girl, she is friends of Ms.Goh. She takes me to tourist centre 2 provide me more information about the heritage site. First she brings me to PTGA which stand 4 Penang Tourist Guides Association. Then we go Anak-anak Kota, a workshop 4 youth about arts education programmes n heritage trails. She is a member there. I like this facility bcoz it allowed pg youth to learn more about own culture n history. Then I took ‘some’ useful brochures n booklets from there. These brochures n maps really help me a lots. Some only lar, I m not greedy...>.<

Anak-anak Kota, a good programme

Later I pass by the World Heritage Office in Armenian Street where u can get brochures. There is also a Penang Heritage Trust in Church Street.

World Heritage Centre

saw this cute car

Then I spent some time finding the Cantonese Carpenter’s Guild or 鲁班古庙. It really hard to find an unknown place if u don’t open ur eye big enough. O.o

鲁班古庙

鲁班古庙founded in 1855 n build in 1866. Many carpenters will come 2 pray the LuBan as He is like the god of hand work. The 鲁班古庙is located on the Love Lane. I am cycling on Love Lane, izzit my loves one just around corner?

where is my LOVE

The time now is at mid afternoon n very hot, I begin to feel hungry too. Before lunch I wanna visit the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion. I dunno why this mansion is so famous. when I there, a guard sit at the entrance n I dunno why it closed. Then I ask him, he reply with very bad tone that it needs 2 be in group 4 the tour n 4 individual need 2 wait until 3 p.m. after the guided tours. And its RM12 per person, Whoa, so damn !! I am not happy with the attitude of the guard n the expensive admission rate.

串咯

But wat 2 do, they spent a lot in restoration effort, that’s why this mansion is the winner of UNESCO Asia-Pacific Cultural Heritage Award for restoration.

Without staying long, I cycle into the Penang Road towards KOMTAR thinking wat 2 eat. I pass by many food stalls, got Malays, Chinese n Indian food 2 choose but I still dunno wat 2 eat. Finally, my tummy咕噜咕噜叫,stop n eat economy rice. RM3.30, I am so surprised it is as cheap as in Butterworth.

After lunch, I decided 2 go KOMTAR. The traffic there is very headache, I even so scare to cross the road…I believe many penangkia dunno wat KOMTAR stand 4, it is KOMpleks Tunku Abdul Razak. I walk in the Pacific Mall but buy nothing, juz 吹吹air-con.Haha.

KOMTAR

I left KOMTAR and turn into Jalan Burma n pass by few places like New Wold Park n Nagore Place, both are places 2 eat.New World Park

Nagore Place

Colourful Painted

I like this smiling,haha

another Goddess of Mercy Temple

Later I met a fat-old man in the Buppharam Buddhist Temple, he ask 4 the direction to 睡佛n I am heading the same place too. Then he show me his Garmin GPS device worth more than RM2000. So envy arr, I only have maps 2 refer…T.T

Buppharam Buddhist Temple

Loves the shining marble






A golden pig on the temple, looks like pokemon

On the Burma Lane, there are 2 temples adjacent, I go to the Burmese Buddhist Temple first. I came here a few times when I was small. Now, I don’t like this temple much because the statues are not so ‘buddhist’ feel.

Burmese Budhist Temple




Cool dragon


Then I cross the road to the Wat Chaiyamangalaram Thai Buddhist Temple or known as 卧佛/睡佛寺. At the temple I met that GPS uncle again. He is very nice actually n he gave me his email n number.

Wat Chaiyamangalaram Thai Buhhist Temple

Thai style dragon

卧佛

A special mark under the foot

The weather is very hot in the afternoon. I go wash my face n sit there alone thinking that the heritage trail is finished n no place 2 go. Then I decided to go to the Botanical Garden. To my surprise, the Floral Festival or Pesta Bunga happening over there, what a coincident.

Leng leng orchid flower

this is hw i 自拍,haha

My time is so flexible n I am so free in this evening. I cycle to Gurney Drive, go to Gurney Mall, n the car park is for ‘car’ only. 没办法,I find a lamppost, takes out valuable things n lock my bike there. Since I have the whole night long, so I buy a ticket 4 the movie “Night at Museum2”.

Gurney Drive

My camera n handphone is almost out of battery, so I went 2 McD for dinner hoping 2 use the socket there. But I am very , one socket is spoil n another cant open the two-headed pin. I am so angry coz I waste my time n money there, stupid McD.

Some breakdance performers in Gurney Mall

Before the movie time, I go window shopping at the Gurney New Wing. Too much surprise today, there is a Gundam promotion at new wing n lots of Gundam modal displayed.



Two huge Gundam figures

Gundam 30th anniversary

Gundam promotion




So attractive lar...

After the promotion discount the price is still high n I cant afford 2 play this, I’ll just stick 2 my papermodal la.

My latest handemade papermodel

see more in my friendster album

Then is the movie time, the movie is ok only, the ‘laugh point’笑点 is just the same as the episode 1. But inside the cinema, there is a secondary schl girl very very very extremely pretty n attractive sit in front of me. She is the best looking girl I seen that day in Gurney, 索啊hahaha.

Pleo electronic toy on Apple Switch

When I came out I saw Lee Jun & his gf Pei Cher, they went there 拍拖, dun wan be their light bulb. Then I go out n begin to find a place 2 stay overnight. I pass by Phor Tay n ask but the guard refused. Then I pass by PGCHS but I dint ask, coz u know la, girl school ma, the possibility to let a guy stay overnight is very low.

I refer 2 my map n found a primary school, St. Xavier. I talk to the Indian guard, n he allowed me 2 stay. He is a very nice guy, called Satia. Then I setup my tent, take a shower n change my cloth, feeling so refreshing n prepare 2 sleep. Then another 2 indian guard came at midnight, they are Simon n Ravi. They are nice too n invite me for a supper. We walk to the mamak stall n they belanja me, make me so pai seh… then we walk 2 a place where they gather n they treat me beer n we sembang until very late. Through them I know that Indian n Chinese there get along very well.

Sleep alone in my cozy tent


It is very late when I get in my tent, the night is silent n windless. 今天的我,到了好多地方、遇到好多人与事,仿佛就像奇幻旅程般的多彩。很累的一天,没力气去感触良多了啦,哈哈。

No comments: